28th October 06, 12:40
As of Friday, I've been alone in Leuven. Xuan went off to Paris to meet her frens. I could have gone if I hadn't gone for the Romeo & Juliet play on Thursday evening. The R&J play was in Dutch, suitable for beginners in the Dutch language but I still had trouble understanding certains parts. Thank God I studied it before so I wasn't lost in translation. The play was funny, it's actually an animated version of the actually with most of the characters in the story played by 7 people. Cartoonic I would say!
So on Friday, I set off to Mechelen alone. It's only a 30mins train ride away from Leuven. I went there because of my Flemish Art paper; I'm doing on Gothic Architecture coz I like gothic! I seriously dun understand myself, always finding/liking this which are so tough to do (like the EU module I took, anyway I dropped it so I need to clear GRS in SMU). The bulk of my syllabus in Flemish Art is on paintings, yet I'm so intrigued by Gothic Architecture. And so I visited the St. Rombouts Cathedral in Mechelen. It's magnificient especially for a low countries area - it stands at 167m. When I went in...oh my gosh! It's so beautiful because of its stained-glass windows. The Last Supper, Jesus's birth & crucification and etc...was depicted. It's no small feat to create something so beautiful during the 16th-17th cetury. I'll post pictures up, promise! I walked round Mechelen but the place didn't have much as most we under-renovation or I couldn't find it...haha. I went to the Beguinge Church though, it's smaller than St Rombouts but had beautiful stained glass windows. It's a very old place under renovation on the exterior but the interior seemed abit not maintained. All in all...still a fruitful trip!
So now...I'm just blogging & letting time pass. Going out now, just walk walk & maybe I'll catch "An Inconvenient Truth" tonite! I feel that's a must watch movie for allof us as it's gonna affect us, this generation. Oh! Bim leow...your present from me will be given to you (provided you're coming lah!) or else, I'll pass it to you when I'm back in Singapore.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home